New Beginnings


I’m laughing at myself as I read my “title.” It seems the only time I write and post here (because I’m writing all the time) is when I’m starting over or beginning again. But pray with me and for me that this time I’ll get some traction and keep moving forward instead of getting stuck and stalling out.

Today’s restart was the culmination of several things. First, I know I’m called to write and speak; not so much to share God’s word as in a preacher or teacher, but to motivate the chosen by and through the Word of God. I’m to push others in ways I’ve wanted to be pushed giving them the strength and a desire, to continue their Christian journey.

Second, in church this morning, I was reminded that God has given me a gift and I am to use that gift for His glory and for the betterment of His people. Also, this same woman-of-God reminded me that in addition to the gift, God blessed me with a spouse that believes in me and has allowed me to remain at home and walk in that gift. To fail in this calling is to fail both God and my husband.

Thirdly, a dear friend sent me a text message encouraging me to continue to share my gift. Now, this friend does send me messages and things of this sort from time to time, but this time was different somehow. Maybe it was because I’d already gotten that message at church. Maybe it was simply because I finally had ears to hear. It’s like hearing and or reading a passage of scripture multiple times over a course of time. You become familiar with it. You know it. But then one day, you see it. You hear it differently than you’ve heard it in the past. This time you have ears to hear and you receive it. Today, I received it.

Next, I have a poem in Straight From the Heart; A Poetry Collection that addressed some of the things I’ve been struggling with. The things that have kept me stuck.  The poem, titled “To Sell or Not to Sell” begins with:
                                    God gave me a talent to write
                                    He gave me the gift of rhyme
                                    He gave these gifts to other poets
                                    Yet their words are not like mine.

                                    So is the poetry I write bad?
                                    Or do my words read well?
                                    Are my poems just for me to enjoy?
                                    Or should I share them in books to sell?...

That comparison is one of the many things that has kept me stuck. So what if I can make words rhyme? I can create simple little poems. A lot of people can do that. Therefore, I reasoned, why should I bother? No one wants to hear/read my books or poems or even my blog. I’m just wasting my time.

But that argument doesn’t really hold water. Noah preached the same sermon for 120 years and no one repented. (The 120 years is debated but not here nor now.) Yet, Noah did not stop doing what God called him to do. Likewise, I must not stop doing what God has called me to do. He gave me Isaiah 50:4 as a guide to my calling and I must answer it whether it is positively received by man or not.

Finally, today is July 7th (7/7). As someone pointed out on Facebook, seven is the Biblical number of completion. So, on the seventh day of the seventh month, it’s over. It’s a new day starting now. It was that Facebook post that moved me to my computer to declare that for me and my call of God today is a day of New Beginnings. Come with me and share the journey. God is going to blow our minds!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Love Me?

I Believe in Miracles, Because I Am One

Letting Go