Pray For Your Pastor

Yesterday, Facebook reminded me of a post I’d shared in 2017. I’d shared the words of Bishop Reginald Davis who advised, “Be careful how you treat and speak of the Lord's anointed. You don't have to like them, but God will judge you for your disrespect.” I’m almost certain that when I originally read that, I thought, “Wow. That’s deep.” Posted it then moved on. But it was a warning I should’ve taken to heart.

I have a fairly-good working knowledge of scripture and I’ve been in church long enough to know how things should go. So, when I thought things were not going as they should in my home church, I voiced my displeasure – to anyone who would listen. Of course, when there is a problem within the church or any organization, you look at the head. As a result, my whining and complaining often targeted my pastor.

Now please know, I love my pastor. He is a wonderful man of God who rightly divides the Word of Truth. I have no doubt He loves the Lord and has definitely been called to preach and teach. He loves God’s people and labors tirelessly for the Kingdom. He is the real deal. I just didn’t like the way he did certain things. He didn’t do wrong; he just didn’t always do things the way I thought they should have been done.

Side journey to bring this into focus: Early in my marriage, I came home from work to find my husband had done laundry. (I know right! He’s a keeper!) But at that moment, I wasn’t praising God for my good fortune in marrying a man who not only could do laundry but would do it even though he worked twelve-hour shifts and his wife’s job was part-time. No. I got an attitude because he put my clean clothes on the bed. How dare he. When I do laundry, I put his and mine away! Later, as I shared my misfortune with a friend, she stopped me in the middle of my rant to ask, “How do you get your husband to do laundry?”

That question floored me. I zipped my lips and finally gave God the praise He was deserving of and asked for forgiveness for ever having complained. My husband did nothing wrong. In fact, he was doing exceptionally well (still does – thank You Jesus!) He just didn’t do things the way I thought they should be done. That’s the way it was with my pastor and the church. Even now my flesh wants to justify my actions and seek everyone’s understanding and sympathy, but I refuse to walk after the flesh any longer.

I praise God I was not struck with leprosy as Miriam was when she dared speak against Moses, (Numbers 12) but there were consequences. I again praise God because there was also healing. I did eventually go to my pastor and confess my sin to him and ask his forgiveness. I also told him I would stop talking about him and instead would seriously pray for him. And when I did humble myself and sincerely pray and seek God’s face, and turned from my wicked ways, God heard from Heaven and forgave me and healed my land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)

I share this with you today under the leading of the Holy Spirit. I’m certain I’m not the only one facing the displeasure of God because I dared speak against His anointed. Even if you’re only grumbling against God’s set man/woman within your own heart, you’re in a dangerous place. I challenge you, pray for your pastor. Sincerely pray for him/her and not about him/her. When you do, God will do a work in them and you that will blow your mind.

To help you get started may I recommend a short booklet I wrote called, “30 Days of Prayer for Your Pastor.” You can get it as an electronic book or in paperback to guide you in praying scripture over your pastor. Pray for your pastor for thirty days and then repeat. Pastors need our prayers and we need them as well because as the head goes, so goes the body. Be blessed and pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Love Me?

I Believe in Miracles, Because I Am One

Yo, That's My Wife!