I Need Help

          Yesterday I was so excited because I found myself in a place with God from which I could freely commune with Him and therefore with you, my reader.  But today, less than twenty-four hours later, I was feeling cold and disconnected again. How is that possible? I love the Lord. I know His Word. I have a desire to draw others closer to Him. I have a desire to not just love Him but to be passionately in love with Him, and to share that passion. But it’s not always that way.
          Love is so much more than a feeling. It’s definitely more than simple lip service. Jesus tells us in John 14:21 (NKJV), “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.” So, my saying I love God and feeling love for God is not real love at all. I’m a praiser, but my shouting and dancing and crying do not truly reflect my love for God. It’s my obedience that says whether I love God.
          So today I entered my office out of obligation (and to avoid dreaded housework). My office is the place where I go to meet my Father; the place where I seek His face. There was no excitement or thrill at the thought of again being with my Beloved. There was no passion or even affinity, just obligation. God doesn’t want simple obligation. He wants my heart; and I want Him to have it. But there was a disconnect and I didn’t know how to fix it.
          In an effort to “set the mood,” I pulled up YouTube and sought out “Dappy T Keys Piano Worship.” I selected “Come Boldly” and sat back to wait for the it to begin. As the soothing music began to play, Hebrews 4:16 came across the screen, “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” I let those words sink into my spirit. I needed help to get beyond myself and in sync with God. But I didn’t have to do it on my own. He, the Father, would help me.
          How often do we forfeit peace and God’s presence because we forget that Holy Spirit is our Helper (John 14:26)? We forget that we can do as the desperate father in Mark 9:24 and ask for help in our unbelief. Not an unbelief in who He is, but who He is in us and to us; who we are. Philippians 2:13 reminds us that it is God working in us that causes us to both will and do His good pleasure. It is His will that we draw near to Him, that we earnestly seek Him. When we find the cares of this world hindering us in that pursuit, He will help us navigate the clutter and come to Him.
          I am certain I’m not the only one who has had a desire to seek God but just couldn’t get it together. Maybe like me you were doing the right things but somehow you weren’t connecting. I’m here to remind you as the Word of God and Tim Oladeru, aka Dappy T Keys reminded me, “…come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
          Let us pray…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Love Me?

I Believe in Miracles, Because I Am One

Letting Go