Help My Unbelief


I’ve been sitting here now for nearly an hour with laptop at hand but nothing to say.  There’s much on my mind and in my heart but how do I communicate it in such a way that it will be received? Actually, do I really want to communicate it at all is probably a better question. Here are my thoughts...
I had a friend to tell me some years ago that I was afraid of success. I thought he was a lunatic but because of who he was and our relationship I never forgot the words. I’ve prayed over them and allowed them some space in the back of my mind all these years, wondering if he was right. I think in some ways he was.
In my latest prayer covering this subject I asked God plainly, “What’s my problem? Why can’t I move forward in my calling when I KNOW I can’t possibly go back?” In response, I could almost see Him smile in my spirit – you know, one of those patient smiles a parent has for a child that seems to finally be receiving a truth that’s been spoken to them over and over again. In the end, it all boiled down to faith.
I realize it is impossible to please God without faith. He said so right there in Hebrews 11:6. So really, what is faith? Most who are Bible believers know the definition in Hebrews 11:1 (KJV) which states, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” I personally like the way Dr. Tony Evans puts it. He says, “Faith is acting like something is so even when it is not so in order that it might be so simply because God said so.”
What has God told me is question one? The next question is am I acting like it is so? Do I believe Him? My mind says yes, I believe Him. But my feet (actions) are not acting like it is so. I’m wavering – or am I? I don’t know, but I hear plainly and echo the heartfelt plea of the father in Mark 9:24 (NIV), “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

Precious Father, I come to you first recognizing that you and you alone are God. You spoke the worlds into being and from dust you formed man. You then took on flesh and redeemed man after he sinned against you and for that I take the time to say thank you. I thank you that you are not a man that you should lie nor the son of man that you should repent. If you said it, you’ll do it; if you’ve spoken it you will make good. You have said in the book of Philippians that even as you’ve begun a good work in me you will complete it. I am who YOU say I am and I can do all that you have created me to do through Christ. I believe this, Father. I believe you. Help me overcome my unbelief. In Jesus’ name. Amen and amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Love Me?

I Believe in Miracles, Because I Am One

Letting Go