Burnt Toast

Growing up in a ridiculously small town in Eastern North Carolina, my family didn’t have very much. Of course as a child I didn’t realize it or if I did, I didn’t think much of it. I do know that we didn’t waste very much. If clothes ripped, they could be patched. If someone outgrew something, it could be altered or even better, passed down to someone else. If the toast got burnt, as it often did since we didn’t have a toaster but put bread in the oven on broil, we just scraped off the burnt and added jelly or butter or even both, and you couldn’t tell the difference – it was still edible and still good.

Thinking of that, I was reminded of how my heavenly Father doesn’t waste anyone. Every life has redeemable qualities, IF they are submitted to the Master’s hands. Just looking at my own life is proof of this. Many were prepared to toss me away. Many more said I wasn’t nothing and won’t never gone be nothing. (Poor grammar, yet this is how it was said.) 

But God.

The Master looked down from Heaven and declared I was His beloved. That I was redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. That I was His precious creation predestined for adoption into sonship. He reached down from His throne and picked me up and scrapped off the burnt – the sins of my past, the wrong choices and even many of their consequences. Then He clothed me with the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus. He filled me with His precious Holy Spirit. He declared that I was no longer a sinner, a waste of space and energy. He declared I was His chosen, His beloved, the apple of His eye.

My heavenly Father, took this burnt soul and redeemed me. Over and over, He scrapped the burnt off. He covered me and made me new. I was no longer destined for the trash bin called hell, but I was “edible”. I had (have) purpose and if fully surrendered, I could still be used by Him.

I don’t believe it is an accident that I’m writing these words today. Seriously, how many people think of newness of life after remembering saving burnt toast? I believe God led me to write these words to encourage someone who’s ready to give up. Someone who’s been told they weren’t nothing and won’t never gone be nothing. Someone who’s failed and feel there’s no more use for them. If you’re that someone, be encouraged. God has a way of making burnt toast taste sweet and delicious. Surrender to Him and believe. You are who God says you are and you can do what God says you can do. Declare with me, “I BELIEVE GOD!” Take a moment to pray and ask Him to scrape the burnt off.  Here, I’ll begin…

Precious Father, I’ve made some mistakes in my life and I don’t see how things can ever get better. But I’m choosing right now to believe that you can make me a new creation. You can give me purpose and a reason for living. You can make all things new. Please, Jesus, come into my heart and forgive me of all my sins. Fill me with your Holy Spirit that He may lead and guide me into all righteousness. Scrape the burnt off and make me fit for the Master’s use. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Continue to spend time with the Father and allow yourself to be led by His Spirit. I’d love to hear from you as God makes all things new in your life. Be blessed.  ~Dutchess

Comments

  1. Another nudge from God for me in answer to how I feel about my current situation. Right on time as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kass, I just saw your comment. Glad you know my heart and realize I was not ignoring you. And trust me, honey, God may use me to nudge you every now and then but He's pushing me. Stay encouraged. We'll both get there if we keep our hand in His - one day at a time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Love Me?

Day 7 of 30 - Testimonies, Prayers, & Poetry

Letting Go